Subject: Re: AHA 2742 drivers
To: Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/17/1996 13:02:46
>Isn't This way (scan slots) usable for AHA-2842 (VL) ?
>FreeBSD seems to use same way for 2742 and 2842.

Yes, but I don't think it is on _all_ VLB cards.  If all cards ``look
like'' EISA, I'd be willing to blidly scan all possible ports looking
for cards.  However, I suspect only the AHA cards do this because of
an internal VLB <-> EISA conversion.

I would much rather do this on a per-case basis, where if the port is
given use that (and don't scan) but if not, scan.  I don't want or
need EISA in my kernel, but if I make the 284x driver into a EISA type
of probe, I need to have that in there.

--Michael

--
Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>        NetBSD is the way to go!
PGP key on a key-server near you!         Netshade the world!