Subject: bind() fails in perl5?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Danny Thomas <D.Thomas@vthrc.uq.edu.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/16/1996 19:31:44
probably not really a port-i386 problem, but here goes.

happens with both 5.001 & 5.001m on a fresh install of NetBSD-1.1

accepted all defaults during Configure of perl except NO to running
scripts/binaries on multiple machines and YES to those cases it asked
whether to use non-existant (at that time) lib directories.

make test reports "all test successful"

did h2ph of /usr/include and sub-directories

noticed problem as soon as one of my scripts used syslogging

problem & fix can be duplicated with scripts in perl distribution:
  from perl directory
  eg/server &
  in eg/client change IP address of $this to 127,0,0,1
  eg/client complains "can't assign requested address at eg/client line 16"
  eg/client works after changing $pat to "n n...", ie byte-swap family

before I turn to the perl newsgroup, where I haven't seen this mentioned,
can anyone duplicate/refute this or shed some light - is it
  something with NetBSD-1.1 ?
  something with perl-5.001 ?
  something I did wrong ?
  known but fixed in perl-5002 or -current ?

cheers,
Danny Thomas  (D.Thomas@vthrc.uq.edu.au)