Subject: Re: Has anyone used an AVA-1515 with NetBSD?
To: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/15/1996 12:24:19
On Mon, 15 Jan 1996, Michael Graff wrote:
> My zip drive has _always_ worked fine, once I got the cabling and
> terminiation issues cleaned up.  It is a messy device to connect to a
> SCSI bus IMHO.

Are you using the AVA-1515? What sort of cabling and termination issues
are there? We tried running with the zip as the only scsi device on the
bus... The 1515 has the termination resistor packs installed, the
termination switch on the Zip is on, and the iomega-supplied DB25 to DB25
cable goes in between... Actually I think it was doing something like dd
if=/dev/rsd0d of=/dev/null bs=64k that made it break. I didn't experiment
too much with it though, so I'm not sure.

> I can mount, tar, dd -- you name it -- to/from the zip drive with no
> problems, other than a warning about using false geometry.

Is that the mode sense (4) failed thing? I got something like that, and if
a zip disk is in the drive, I also get an illegal request error from the
aic driver. In any case, I'm more interested in why my HD didn't work...
anyone have ideas about that? :)

> >Also, is it possible for NetBSD to detect the card's IRQ setting? Linux
> >seems to be able to do it :)
>
> It would appear that it already does.  Do you specify irq ? in the
> config file?  I think that is all that is needed.

Yeah, I noticed that, but didn't try it... that stuff is all in an #ifdef
NEWCONFIG block, right? I couldn't find any place where that was
defined... If it does work, is there any reason why it's not in the
GENERICADP and INSTADP kernels?
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 20 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++