Subject: Re: network Q
To: John M Vinopal <banshee@gabriella.resort.com>
From: Matthias Drochner <drochner@zelux6.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/15/1996 11:25:43
Excerpts from netbsd: 13-Jan-96 network Q John M Vinopal@gabriella (400)

> I'm using 16bit 3c509 cards (ep driver) on some older 386s.
> On one machine, I have 211 Ierrs to 58462 Ipkts.  This machine nfs
> mounts directories from the other.

I experience similar problems with a DX4/100.
(The nfs server is an alpha with prestoserve.)
The nfs retry rates went up to 10%.
It improved a bit after replacing the 3c509 by a
SMC Ultra.

There seem buffer cache consistence problems be triggered
by this too. This shows up when compiling something on the
NFS filesystem. Either one gets strange syntax errors in source
files or object files are truncated to zero or 32 (==sizeof(struct exec)).
A second try helps in most cases.

Can anybody confirm this?

best regards
Matthias Drochner