Subject: Re: Has anyone used an AVA-1515 with NetBSD?
To: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/15/1996 01:39:56
>FYI, he's got an Iomega Zip drive hooked up to the card too, but we tried
>taking it out of the scsi chain to see if it'd make any difference, and
>it didn't. Also, netbsd seemed to almost get along with the Zip... I was
>able to dd a couple of megs off of it. However, after doing that 3 or 4
>times, I started getting errors from the aic driver (don't remember the
>message). A reboot was required to get the drive working again (when it
>was in the messed up state, the eject button wouldn't work). I don't
>believe the Zip supports synchronous transfers, btw.

My zip drive has _always_ worked fine, once I got the cabling and
terminiation issues cleaned up.  It is a messy device to connect to a
SCSI bus IMHO.

I can mount, tar, dd -- you name it -- to/from the zip drive with no
problems, other than a warning about using false geometry.

>Also, is it possible for NetBSD to detect the card's IRQ setting? Linux
>seems to be able to do it :)

It would appear that it already does.  Do you specify irq ? in the
config file?  I think that is all that is needed.

        if (ia->ia_irq != IRQUNK) {
                if (ia->ia_irq != sc->sc_irq) {
                        printf("%s: irq mismatch; kernel configured %d
!= board
configured %d\n",
                            sc->sc_dev.dv_xname, ia->ia_irq,
sc->sc_irq);
                        return 0;
                }
        } else
                ia->ia_irq = sc->sc_irq;

--Michael

--
Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>        NetBSD is the way to go!
PGP key on a key-server near you!         Netshade the world!