Subject: Has anyone used an AVA-1515 with NetBSD?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/14/1996 21:00:09
Hi there... well, after posting my question about the aic6360 irq
setting, I compiled a kernel with the correct irq and put it on a boot
floppy. Then I took the kernel floppy, the inst11 floppy, and my hard
disk (Quantum Capella 2.1GB) over to my friend's place, since I wanted to
show him some stuff on my NetBSD partition. Unfortunately, it didn't
work. Sometimes the drive would be probed properly, other times, I'd get
a bogus disk at LUN 6, and sometimes, I'd get some sort of SCSI illegal
request error. I could usually mount the drive, but "ls" would show weird
things... strange filenames, huge terabyte-long files, directories
turning into named pipes... and after a while, the system would lock up
solid. Trying to dd more than about 5K from the drive (dd if=/dev/rsd0d
of=/dev/null count=10) would also lock the system.

So, I was wondering if anyone had gotten the Adaptec AVA-1515 to work
under NetBSD... my drive worked just fine on his machine under DOS and
Linux, so I don't think there were any cabling or termination problems.
Looking at aic6360.c, I notice aic_find assumes a 20MHz clock, which
gives a 10MB/s max synchronous transfer rate. However, the AVA-1515
doesn't support fast SCSI-II; it'll only do 5MB/s. Could this be a problem?

FYI, he's got an Iomega Zip drive hooked up to the card too, but we tried
taking it out of the scsi chain to see if it'd make any difference, and
it didn't. Also, netbsd seemed to almost get along with the Zip... I was
able to dd a couple of megs off of it. However, after doing that 3 or 4
times, I started getting errors from the aic driver (don't remember the
message). A reboot was required to get the drive working again (when it
was in the messed up state, the eject button wouldn't work). I don't
believe the Zip supports synchronous transfers, btw.

Also, is it possible for NetBSD to detect the card's IRQ setting? Linux
seems to be able to do it :)

Any help would be appreciated, although since I'm back at home now and my
friend is about 1500 miles away, I probably won't be able to try any
suggestions. I'm curious as to why it didn't work though :) Thanks!
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 20 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++