Subject: Re: Pain about disklabel
To: Curt Sampson <curt@portal.ca>
From: Phil Knaack <flipk@ncremp.ag.iastate.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/12/1996 11:33:55
On Thu, 11 Jan 96 23:43:06 PST
	Curt Sampson <curt@portal.ca> wrote:

>I really, really recommend keeping a copy of every disklabel you
>ever make in an appropriately named file in /etc/disklabels or
>wherever on some machine anyway. It gives you a better starting
>point when you have to go at another disk of the same type, and it
>gives you an easy backup should a disk get wiped and you have to
>restore from a full backup.

Actually I would recommend keeping _multiple_ copies in offline storage
or at the least on another machine. For my sensitive machines, the ones
where I'd be out of a job if they didn't come back up after a crash,
I've got disklabels of all partitions on three separate floppies, two
with MSDOS partitions so I can see them from a nearby dos machine and
type them by hand if necessary, and one with a BSD partition in case I
don't have a machine with DOS handy and the kernel i'm forced to boot to
recover the machine doesn't have msdosfs.

I also have copies stored on another account across campus.

But then again, I'm paranoid about that stuff, after having written a
couple of programs which search a disk cylinder by cylinder for the
beginning of a partition to help a friend recover his trashed disk.

That was a fun job only because it wasn't _my_ disk .. =-)

Cheers,
Phil
--
Phillip F Knaack               flipk@iastate.edu
Database Programmer, NCREMP    Student Development Group