Subject: Re: 486 motherboard + PCI + NCR scsi?
To: Curt Sampson <curt@portal.ca>
From: Dave Cornejo <dave@dogwood.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/12/1996 06:28:40
Curt Sampson wrote:
> Actually, this board is afflicted with the `remove fd1 (the second
> floppy which you don't have) in the kernel config file and the
> Ethernet will work' bug. This is the oddest problem/workaround
> combination I've ever seen, but there you are. I've been using this
> board for nearly a year with an SMC Elite-16C card, and except for
> the fact that the SCSI driver for the NCR chip isn't quite up to
> snuff (though it seems almost perfect now), I'm quite happy.

I just switched to one of these and fixed the ethernet not working by
updating to the latest BIOS (0403) and setting the ISA memory setting
to map the NICs memory - one oddity though: my card is an SMC 8013,
which I thought had 16K on it, requires 32K to be mapped.

--
Dave Cornejo                                             Dogwood Media
                                                   Fremont, California