Subject: Re: 486 motherboard + PCI + NCR scsi?
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@telstra.com.au>
From: Curt Sampson <curt@portal.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/11/1996 21:17:16
On Fri, 12 Jan 1996, Luke Mewburn wrote:

> The PCI/I-486SP3G has 4 SIMM sockets...[etc.]

Sorry; I've got the PVI-486SP3 (note the lack of a `G'); that was the
one I was describing.

> The 486PVI-SP3 has 2 SIMM sockets, 2 PCI, 1 VLB, 4 ISA, onboard
> SuperIO (q.v). It has the BIOS for the PCI NCR SCSI daughterboard
> that ASUS make (SC-200), which means you just plug in a board to get
> SCSI. Unfortunately, the PVI-SP3, an SC-200, and any ethernet card
> seem to *not* work together at all.

Actually, this board is afflicted with the `remove fd1 (the second
floppy which you don't have) in the kernel config file and the
Ethernet will work' bug. This is the oddest problem/workaround
combination I've ever seen, but there you are. I've been using this
board for nearly a year with an SMC Elite-16C card, and except for
the fact that the SCSI driver for the NCR chip isn't quite up to
snuff (though it seems almost perfect now), I'm quite happy.

cjs

Curt Sampson    curt@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.