Subject: Re: 16550 & ST16C552CJ compatible?
To: VaX#n8 <vax@linkdead.paranoia.com>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/10/1996 22:15:15
>Assuming it's a UART problem, I have a "DSP" Dual Serial, one Parallel
>board that uses a "Startech ST16C552CJ" ASIC, or so it would seem.
>NetBSD calls it a 16550 on bootup.  Is it sufficient to hold a 14.4 line
>or is it an unreliable, cheap clone that is the root of all evil?

I've used tons of serial boards with Startech serial chips on them,
and as far as I'm concerned they're as good or better than the rest.
I haven't had a single problem with a Startech 16550-compatible
(i.e. 16552, 16554, etc.) chip.

     NetBSD working ports: 386+PC, Mac 68k, Amiga, HP300, Sun3, Sun4,
                           DEC PMAX (MIPS), DEC Alpha, PC532
     NetBSD ports in progress: VAX, Atari 68k, others...