Subject: 486 motherboard + PCI + NCR scsi?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: VaX#n8 <vax@linkdead.paranoia.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/10/1996 20:55:08
I currently have:
 486/66 on a HiNT chipset mboard, claims to be VLB/EISA/ISA but doesn't
 support level-sensitive interrupts and other EISA stuff so it's not
 really worth upgrading.  16MB of RAM, 30-pin sockets.

I will eventually want to upgrade the RAM, which means I'll either have to
wait for bounce-buffer support (I use an AHA-1542, ISA DMA card) or get
a better drive controller... seems everyone is going PCI these days,
so I was looking at a minimal-cost upgrade path to such a beast...

All I've seen so far is the ASUS 486SP-G or whatever.

I was thinking if there is another 486/PCI board that has a built-in
NCR scsi that'd be a way to kill two birds with one stone...
But I'm willing to entertain any other ideas or horror stories about
mboards people have.

Anyone know if those 30->72pin SIMM adapters work for all SIMMs,
and if not, how can I tell before I buy?

Thanks a lot, and by the way, upgrading from 8->16MB RAM really
help a ton!  Much better than any fast SCSI adapter would have.
X is happy. :)