Subject: Probe Conflict?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul Friedrichs <pfriedr@cpo-link.eucom.mil>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/10/1996 19:42:33
I'm running NetBSD 1.1 and XFree86 3.1.2 on the following hardware:

PCI/SCSI 133MHz Pentium triton P54TSW with built-in Adaptec
AIC-7870P chip, ATI WinTurbo Mach64 accelerator with 888GX chipset,
ATI18818-1 clock and ATI68860 RAMDAC, driving a Nokia 447X monitor.

Can't get my monitor to sync.  I wonder whether it's a probe
conflict?
I've also sent mail to the XFree folks.  Not sure where the problem
might be.  I don't know much about the hardware, yet, and don't
understand whether an improperly identified RAMDAC could prevent
sync.

I'm using sync values provided by Nokia tech support.  Superprobe,
provided by XF86, correctly identifies the RAMDAC.  But the Mach64
Xserver probe thinks it's a 68880 RAMDAC.

A pop-up menu on the monitor indicates the monitor continues to
think it's being driven at 720x400/70Hz (a factory default)
regardless of what the server is being told.

I have no problems driving the monitor with Windows95 (which I've
since discarded for every other reason).

I'm trying to cover all the bases.  If this is entirely an X
question, please just tell me, so I know where to focus my efforts.
Any ideas?

Many thanks,

paul