Subject: Re: Device timeout with ed driver?
To: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/10/1996 10:01:13
On Wed, 10 Jan 1996 06:04:07 -0600
 Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org> wrote:

 > Jan 10 04:25:43 packrat /netbsd: ed0: device timeout
 >
 > packrat has a different card -- an NE2000 compatible -- so the only common
 > element other than the arch and the isa bus is the driver and its interaction
 > with gcc 2.7.2 (not 7.2.7 ;)
 >
 > Has anyone else noticed this?  I compiled both kernels with -O, not -O6,
 > so that shouldn't be the famous -fstrength-reduce bug, right?

It could very well be that you're seeing interrupt lossage resulting from
the way gcc 2.7.2 generates code; there was a discussion about it here
recently.  I'm pretty sure Charles fixed it.

I'm goingto be updating my i486 with an SMC (ed) at work today (now that
the disk stuff is checked in) and so I'll be able to confirm whether or
not this is fixed or still a problem...  I'll be using Jan 9 source.

ciao.