Subject: Re: AHA 2842/2742 support and pr #1594
To: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
From: None <Chris_G_Demetriou@NIAGARA.NECTAR.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/07/1996 21:09:44
> >aic7xxx.c included when the attribute is needed, then have the bus
> >drivers require that attribute.
>
> Can you give me an example of this?  Should these attributes be in a
> common file rather than in files.pci or files.isa, since the aic7xxx
> is quite clearly in the wrong place right now (files.pci)

see the 'ncr5380sbc' and 'pdq' definitions in sys/conf/files, and
their uses in various places (dev/pci for pdq, i think, various ports
for ncr5380sbc).

> I would think the files.ic would be something like this:
>
> define aic7xxx {}
> file   dev/ic/aic7xxx.c			aic7xxx
>
> and files.isa would contain something like:
> device  ahe at isa: scsi, aic7xxx
> file	dev/isa/aha284x.c		ahe

This is mostly correct, except the way things are currently done,
the 'ic' files are included in sys/conf/files, since they're MI,
and the 'define' for 'aic7xxx' woulndn't need the {}.

> Also, what's the needs-flag thing do?  Or better yet, is this
> documented?  :)

Chris Torek was writing a paper about "new config" while he was at
LBL, but i dunno if it ever reached general circulation.  The 4.4BSD
book may say something interesting (i dunno).

Other than that, the best documentation is existing uses of config.
Certainly, I found that I couldn't do much useful with just Chris's
document.  It explained a few things, but it took me a fair bit of
time, a fair bit of looking at the other ports that use new config,
and a _lot_ of playing with Alpha hardware and configuration glue
to let me figure out what i'd call a 'reasonable' method of
autoconfiguration on the Alpha.

chris