Subject: Re: DMA beyond end of isa
To: Charles Hannum <Charles-Hannum@deshaw.com>
From: Phil Knaack <flipk@ncremp.ag.iastate.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/05/1996 11:21:10
>   [ Charles-Hannum and Chris_G_Demetriou disagree vigorously ]

Disclaimer: I'm nobody. I'm just a database programmer and web page designer,
   who writes piddly little semi-useful kernel modules from time to time
   and really hasn't contributed much of anything to NetBSD (more because
   the little toys I write are useful to noone but me).

NetBSD is a great operating system. I love the concept, I love the
functionality ..

But this petty bickering back and forth is akin to a large formal dinner
party where the heads of state sit at a large luxurious table up front
underneath big "PortMaster" signs and carrying huge gold CVS keys.. and
the violin quartet has stopped playing and everyone is sitting in stunned
silence as two of the heads of state stand there in front of the entire
assembly yelling insults back at each other.

Meanwhile the Linux, FreeBSD, and OpenBSD guests sitting at their respective
tables are feeling unusually confident in their respective decisions, and
the native NetBSD guests are feeling queasy about the leadership.

Those at the Undecided table may even be heading for the door.

I seem to have carried that metaphor to its (merciful) conclusion and death.

But the point is, and I'm sure others feel the same way,
	I DON'T WANT TO HEAR IT.

Sure, I can type "rmm" as easy as the next guy, its not like email is like
spoken words in that you may be forced to hear the entire conversation; but
still I shouldn't have to write a script that automatically rmm's all messages
From: one of you To: or Cc: the other. There is a small chance that one of
you may actually say something useful or interesting and happen to Cc: the
other because it relates.

I'll allow that you will have disagreements among core team members. That
will happen among any organization.

But, I'm of the opinion that this sort of disagreement should be resolved in
a private forum, not one where the entire port-i386 world must sort through.

You're both good programmers and (from what [almost nothing] i know about you)
good people, and you both (undoubtedly) work hard at what you do.

But it sure makes the home team look bad when the coaches fight amongst
themselves, especially with personal insults.

Charles-Hannum@deshaw.com writes:
>Anyway, I've wasted too much time on this already.  Consider this my
>final (non-technical) comments on the subject.

Let us hope so .. now, come out of your respective corners, shake hands and
kiss, and go out and play some pool and get drunk.

Cheers,
Phillip "It's a small world aaafter aaaall.." Knaack

(remember, i'm nobody ..)
--
Phillip F Knaack               flipk@ncremp.ag.iastate.edu
Database Programmer, NCREMP    Student Development Group