Subject: Re: DMA beyond end of isa
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Christoph Badura <bad@flatlin.ka.sub.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/01/1996 17:22:00
Juergen Hannken-Illjes wrote:
>Since there were some statements like "It's not in the tree because it's not
>architecture independent" I would like to discuss the technical aspect of
>my isadma/bounce buffer implementation.

There's one detail that's not handled in your implemenation:  There's
no way for a device driver to specify the memory area where it can DMA
to.

I can think of two uses immediately:

- We could fix the Buslogic driver for ISA machines with more then
16MB RAM.  (The BT-545 does run in extended mode.  Of course, one
needs to clamp all physical addresses to <= 16M.)

- There's a bug with WD-7000 SCSI controllers that will botch DMA
transfers to/from the last segment of memory.  (I have the details
somewhere in my notes.)

--
Christoph Badura	bad@flatlin.ka.sub.org

You don't need to quote my .signature.  Everyone has seen it by now.
Besides, it doesn't add anything to the current thread.