Subject: Re: pppd hangs
To: David Mazieres <dm@uun.org>
From: Gary D. Duzan <gary@wheel.tiac.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/31/1995 11:02:00
In Message <199512310544.AAA00205@garage.uun.org> ,
   David Mazieres <dm@uun.org> wrote:

=>When I run either the current or the Dec. 21 version pppd with the
=>current kernel, it eventually hangs.  After a long time (typically
=>about 10 Megabytes or so have come in over the interface), I start
=>getting buffer full messages back from ping and traceroute.  The last
=>few times it seemed to happen when there was also heavy disk activity,
=>but I'm not sure if that was always the case.  Pppd itself is
=>unkillable (even with SIGKILL).
=>
=>The problem goes away when I run my old (Dec. 21) kernel.
=>
=>I'm using 16550 uarts on a 486 PC.
=>
=>Any ideas?

   No ideas, but I get exactly the same thing under similar
circumstances. At the moment I'm running with -current userland
and a 1.1 kernel, which seems to work for the most part except
that "systat -net" displays some signed integer where it should
have the connection state. I can reliably get pppd to hang by
running trn (downloads the active file) immediately after
connecting. I'd guess we're looking at a packet or byte count
as the trigger, though it could be higher traffic.

                                      Gary D. Duzan
                         Humble Practitioner of the Computer Arts