Subject: Re: LKM's for some file systems
To: Michael Graff <explorer@FLAME.ORG>
From: Thomas Graichen <graichen@omega.physik.fu-berlin.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/28/1995 23:28:58
hasn't Michael Graff said ? ...
> I must admit that kernel mods really complicate the system startup
> process.  I mean, given a split up startup script, would you think
> that it should be which of the following?
>
> 1)  One file to load the lkm and configure it, such as procfs followed
>     by a mount, all in the same file
> or
> 2)  One file to load the mod, then a mount_procfs or something to do
>     actual mount
>
> I would think #1 is *much* simplier.
>
> Hmm.  Too bad there isn't on-demand kernel module loading.  Like a
> mount loads the module, an umount unloads it.  THAT would be very
> cool.

you may look at FreeBSD which does demand-loading of filesystem-modules

                                                   __||
  Perfection is reached, not when there is no  __||     thomas graichen
  longer anything to add, but when there   __||    freie universitaet berlin
  is no longer anything to take away   __||           fachbereich physik
                                   __||
  - Antoine de Saint-Exupery - __||        graichen@mail.physik.fu-berlin.de