Subject: Re: DMA beyond end of isa
To: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/28/1995 15:06:04
>Rather than continuing to wait for someone to be struck with a divine
>revelation of a perfectly architecture-neutral scheme, it seems like the
>most sensible approach at this point is to choose a good *existing* strategy,
>commit it as an architecture-and-card-specific fix; *then* work on improving
>it to be as general as it ought to be.  Who knows, maybe that would provide
>the impetus for someone to actually *do* that last bit of work; the current
>strategy certainly isn't making any progress!

I thought about that method, but it just won't work.  I tend to agree
with the core's decision on that one though.

What I do NOT like is the asumption that `someone will fix it sooner
or later' because I just don't think there is one person who can or
will do this.

If chris (the port master for alpha last time I checked) would work
with me on getting things in there, I think I can do the i386 side.  I
do NOT want to make changes to the alpha side that will just be
rejected -- this is called a waste of time.  Would someone willing to
do the alpha side PLEASE speak up!

--Michael

--
Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>        NetBSD is the way to go!
PGP key on a key-server near you!         Netshade the world!