Subject: Re: LKM's for some file systems
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/27/1995 18:27:05
> > They can be installed anytime before the startup scripts complete,
> > right?
>
>I doo 'em at the end of rc.local, or wherever appropriate.

I must admit that kernel mods really complicate the system startup
process.  I mean, given a split up startup script, would you think
that it should be which of the following?

1)  One file to load the lkm and configure it, such as procfs followed
    by a mount, all in the same file
or
2)  One file to load the mod, then a mount_procfs or something to do
    actual mount

I would think #1 is *much* simplier.

Hmm.  Too bad there isn't on-demand kernel module loading.  Like a
mount loads the module, an umount unloads it.  THAT would be very
cool.

--Michael

--
Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>        NetBSD is the way to go!
PGP key on a key-server near you!         Netshade the world!