Subject: Re: Problem with -current and serial ports?
To: None <gary@wheel.tiac.net>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/27/1995 15:42:14
>Date: Sun, 24 Dec 1995 13:51:35 -0500
>From: "Gary D. Duzan" <gary@wheel.tiac.net>

>   I recently did a full build (minus libg++ and groff to get around
>-Werror problems between the new gcc and old c++ code) and built a

I sent in a PR that fixed groff; it's lib/1845.  The gist of it is
that you need to prefix the prototypes of abort() and exit() in
<stdlib.h> with '__dead' (see <sys/cdefs.h>).  I rebuilt my entire
tree after making that change, so I know that it doesn't break
anything on an i386.

>new kernel from -current. Most things seemed fine, except for my
>PPP connection. It would dial, connect, and work for a short time,
>but then the modem just stopped transmitting, and nothing would
>talk to the modem afterwards until a warm boot. Going back to a 1.1
>kernel got things working again, so I'd guess that the problem is
>with the kernel, or perhaps compiling the kernel with the new gcc.
>Has anyone else tried this? Thanks.

I haven't had any problems with PPP, but I haven't made the GCC
switchover yet.
--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>           http://www.shore.net/~mikel