Subject: Re: DMA beyond end of isa
To: Peter Galbavy <peter@wonderland.org>
From: Jeff Northon <jeffo@sasquatch.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/27/1995 10:31:48
On Wed, 27 Dec 1995, Peter Galbavy wrote:

> The simple reason is that people use free OSes, not just because of
> the availability of sources etc, but because it is cheap. If you say
> to someone that they cannot run a free OS without buying upgraded
> hardware then you are missing *THE* point. I (the "virtual" I) want
> to run a real, mutli-tasking BSD like OS on my current hardware.

Hey guess what you can!!!

> And everyone has an EISA motherboard ? Yeah, sure. I have real ISA
> motherboards, not even local bus...

So just recognize that you can use up to 16 megs of memory on ISA.

> > Footnote: OS/2 can't use anything over 16 megs with a ISA
> > bus / controller. It only can use it as a fast swap space,
> > like a ramdisk.
>
> And we have to limit ourselves because the big blue do ?

Don't be so stupid. I was using this as an example of the 16 meg
limit on ISA.

> Next you will be telling us to get rid of the amiga/sun4c/etc ports
> because they don't make that hardware anymore ?

Hey people still take 1957 Chevies and make hot rods out of them
and Chevy doesn't make them anymore.

> --

> Peter Galbavy                                           peter@wonderland.org
> @ Home                                                 phone://44/973/499465
> in Wonderland                              http://www.wonderland.org/~peter/
>                                snail://UK/NW1_6LE/London/21_Harewood_Avenue/

In Wonderland?
I would have to agree.