Subject: re: dma beyond end of isa (toMAto, tomAto)
From: Curt Sampson <curt@portal.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/27/1995 10:19:47
On Tue, 26 Dec 1995, <netbsd@vu.com> wrote:

> if the various *BSD factions would rather be "right" than cooperate,
> *BSD is history.  Linux will consume the programmer-oriented OS market,
> Windoze gets the luser share, and Sun/Dec/...  keep the workstations,
> at least for now.  *BSD becomes a footnote in technological commentary
> describing the effect of schizmogenesis amongst software developers.

What rubbish. Why everybody thinks that there has to be some sort
of `competition' in the free OS `market' where only one OS `wins,'
and why three BSDs are considered `fragmented' when they differ
less than any three Linux distributions out there, I don't know.

Jordan has pointed out some very good reasons why a FreeBSD/NetBSD
merge would not work well at this point in time. So long as the
developers have no problem letting the other port integrate the
one port's code, I don't see a big problem here. Just consider
FreeBSD an otherwise `less advanced' `386 research OS,' some of
whose changes will eventually get back into NetBSD. Or consider
NetBSD an otherwise `less advanced' `multi-platform research OS'
some of whose changes will eventually go back into FreeBSD.

cjs

Curt Sampson    curt@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.