Subject: Re: DMA beyond end of isa
To: Jordan K. Hubbard <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/26/1995 14:30:22
>P.S.  Yes, I have talked about merging the two groups again to even
>better serve the "BSD cause" but I guess that too much water has now
>passed under the bridge for that to be practical, given the
>exceedingly luke-warm response I've received.  Ah well!

I'd love to see this happen, but let's face it.  FreeBSD is just too
i386 hacked, and this is against the multiple arch Os netbsd is.  I'm
not saying this is good or bad -- I think the alterations could be
worked on given a joint effort, but no one seems willing to try that.
I don't see netbsd merging with freebsd, nor freebsd merging with
netbsd.  The ego thing again, and I can understand it too.  I don't
like it though.

I have stated in the past that we need:

	1) a joint FreeBSD/NetBSD book.
	2) a joint effort to merge the i386-specific alterations from
	   FreeBSD into an arch-independant form for NetBSD.
	3) a kernel and systems hackers guide for both.
	4) a merger of sorts.  Perhaps we could merge them and name
	   the i386 portion of NetBSD as FreeBSD?  We could even make
	   the name a kernel config option.  ;)

--Michael

--
Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>        NetBSD is the way to go!
PGP key on a key-server near you!         Netshade the world!