Subject: Re: DMA beyond end of isa
To: Andrew Kai Jing Tseng <akt@doc.ic.ac.uk>
From: David Brownlee <david@mono.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/25/1995 09:43:15
On Mon, 25 Dec 1995, Andrew Kai Jing Tseng wrote:

> Hello, I've got that dreaded message! - unfortunately, the usual solution
> of reducing the RAM won't work since this is happening on a machine that
> only has 16 MB of RAM! - Any ideas as to the cause? The error occured at the
> very end of a Kernel build, though its probably more due to the load on the
> system when the kernel was built (the system hasn't really been used much,
> X isn't installed yet)....

	Its quite likely the bios is remapping the memory between 640k and
	1mb above 16mb. I'd have a wade thru the bios setup & see if you can
	disable this.
	I had a similar spec but with 32mb & I needed to keep all 32, so
	I switched to OpenBSD :), but you should be able to get NetBSD up ok
	with your setup....

		  David/abs 		(david@southern.com)

+44 181 888 8949 System Manager, Southern Studios Ltd, Box 59, London N22 1AR
     >=- Microsoft asks you where you want to go. Unix gets you there -=<
        <<< Monochrome - Largest UK Internet BBS - telnet mono.org >>>