Subject: identd/inet services changes under 1.1?
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG, port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Matthew B. Wood <devtrix@netcom.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/19/1995 19:59:54
Hi, hot on the heels of my last question comes this....

I've noticed that logging into my system from remote, coming from behind a
firewall that prevents identd from connecting, it takes about 30-40
seconds to complete a login.  The same goes for an existing
window from which I'm executing an 'su'.

When I login from a non-firewalled host, or perform the su from a window
opened from said host, I have no problem.  The new login shell is ready in
a normal amount of time.

Is this an identd execution going on?  I tried a kernel trace on the
rlogind process running and didn't get much output.  It did contain the
hostname I was connecting from, though.  And we do filter identd connects
to that host.

What changed?  Are the inet services' daemons more secure by default,
now?  And why does this happen under 'su'?

Anyone else noticing this?

--
Matthew B. Wood                                               mbwood@netcom.com
                   Je suis l'operateur du mini calculateur