Subject: Re: -m486
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/16/1995 11:00:10
>Not quite the end. We still don't have consensus on whether we should
>be compiling everything with -m486, and no one has given any facts on
>what this does to Pentium performance.

How about this.

Someone with a Pentium, a 486, and a 386 download the following, run
it, and mail the two resulting files to me (this creates a file called
DOUBLE or INTEGER -- mv them between runs)

	ftp://ftp.scl.ameslab.gov/pub/HINT/serial/

This is a very good benchmark program, and is not PeeCee specific.  It
tests CPU speed as well as memory speed.  Please try to include as
much information in the mail you send me as you can -- memory speed,
cpu speed, motherboard, etc.  And try to run the test on a quiet
computer (or in single user mode...)

I'll graph the results and put them on a www page.  This would also be
a good way to start comparing motherboards.  :)

--Michael

--
Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>        NetBSD is the way to go!
PGP key on a key-server near you!         Rayshade the world!