Subject: Re: dialin/dialout on same port
To: Curt Sampson <curt@portal.ca>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@frodo.dn.itg.telecom.com.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/15/1995 14:59:59
> >   I'm trying to set up a system for both dialin and dialout on the same serial
> > port and modem...
>
> Your analysis seems correct to me. I strikes me that we really need
> a uugetty (which honours the port locking protocols used by tip
> and Taylor UUCP) under NetBSD.

I (well sjg@zen) have been using the mgetty from mgetty+sendfax for
about 3 years with no problems.

I know there was a big religious debate about this last year (actually
probably the year before) and everyone got very upset etc...

Having used both mechanisms quite a bit, I think I come down on the
side of the uugetty concept - mainly because on SunOS, 386BSD, NetBSD
and everything else I've used that uses separate devices - I've had to
reboot a system to clear a lock.  One look at my X display says,
rebooting is a pain :-)

The mgetty I use is way out of date - I added support for
/etc/modemcap since my three modems are all quite different.
I'll look at putting my version up for ftp when I get a chance - won't
be this week! I'll announce it when its there...

--sjg