Subject: Re: Upgrading to NetBSD-1.1
To: Werner Kuehnert <kue@zerberus.hai.siemens.co.at>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/14/1995 12:50:07
Werner Kuehnert writes:
> Yesterday I tried to upgrade my system from 1.0 to 1.1. I first booted with
> the kcoth11 image and then when prompeted inserted the upgrade floppy.

Okay, thats cool.

> So I rebooted (with the floppy disk) and this time I was not
> prompted to insert the second disk, but with the choices to
> 'reboot', to 'halt' or to 'copy_kernel'.

You had to have hit return when prompted for the second disk. The
kernel copy floppy doesn't make itself the file system by accident.

> I did a copy_kernel and tried to reboot from the hard disk.
> The boot started fine, the last thing I saw was the message 'changing root
> partition to sd0a' and then the system only printed a message like
> 'process (pid 1) got signal 10'.

Hardly surprising that you would lose seriously. You are running a new
kernel with old binaries on a possibly corrupt file system.

Why don't you try doing the process again, starting with the kernel
copy floppy, mounting the upgrade floppy, this time loading in all
the new binaries and installing them, etc.

Perry