Subject: Re: should we be using -m486?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Alex R.N. Wetmore <alexw+@andrew.cmu.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/14/1995 08:37:40
Excerpts from internet.computing.netbsd.port-i386: 13-Dec-95 Re: should
we be using -m486?  by M. HeadCandy.com@HeadCan
> my 486.  It shouldn't appreciably slow down 386s.  And, the most
> important thing, it doesn't break on 386s.  People can use these
> binaries successfully on their 386s until they decide to rebuild their
> own binaries (if they even care).

Are you sure it doesn't break on 386s?  At one point AFS for NetBSD
was being compiled with -m486 and it didn't run on any of my friends
386s until the AFS/NetBSD developer built a binary compiled without
-m486.  I thought it might use the extra one or two instructions in the
486 instruction set...

alex