Subject: Re: should we be using -m486?
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Peter Galbavy <peter@wonderland.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/14/1995 07:00:09
> Should we be compiling our code these days with -m486? Does anyone
> know if code compiled this way is faster or slower on a pentium than
> non-m486 code? This would slow down the 386 folks a little bit, but it
> might be a win for the bulk of folks...

According to the GNU docs the -m486 option only results in slightly
larger binaries on a 386 and does not affect the speed. This is
because the compile takes advantage of the pipelining in the 486
and puts instructions in a particular order, sometimes with 'no-ops'
and the like. So I read.

Regards,
--
Peter Galbavy                                           peter@wonderland.org