Subject: Re: should we be using -m486?
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/13/1995 21:58:53
>Should we be compiling our code these days with -m486? Does anyone
>know if code compiled this way is faster or slower on a pentium than
>non-m486 code? This would slow down the 386 folks a little bit, but it
>might be a win for the bulk of folks...

I can't speak for Pentiums, but it does make a slight enhancement on
my 486.  It shouldn't appreciably slow down 386s.  And, the most
important thing, it doesn't break on 386s.  People can use these
binaries successfully on their 386s until they decide to rebuild their
own binaries (if they even care).

I build all my code with -m486.  I would say go for it.

     NetBSD working ports: 386+PC, Mac 68k, Amiga, HP300, Sun3, Sun4,
                           DEC PMAX (MIPS), DEC Alpha, PC532
     NetBSD ports in progress: VAX, Atari 68k, others...