Subject: Re: Linux binaries compiled with libc-5.2.16
To: None <frank@fwi.uva.nl>
From: Erik M. Theisen <etheisen@teclink.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/12/1995 22:12:24
Actually, ELF does have .text, .data, .bss, and .data1 sections.  The loader
is supposed to map these into text and data segments while loading.  The ABI
allows for multiple program headers and sections with execute permissions and
it is the responsibility of the loader to determine where these belong.  It is
simply not enough to assume that there will be only one text section.

If the binary in question has a data section with incorrect permissions then
it's a Linux linker problem.  I suspect that our loader is the one that's broken.

erik