Subject: Multiple > 1 Gb disk installations?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.tujunga.ca.us>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/12/1995 14:38:17
As mentioned in another message, we have a Pentium 120 system that I was
thinking about putting 1.1 on.  It has an Adaptech 2940W PCI SCSI card in it.
It currently has a single Conner 2.1 Gb disk on it, which is currently
single-partitioned to be all DOS/Windows.

The "owner" would like to keep it that way.  He says he has another 2 Gb SCSI
disk that he could add in, if I want to put NetBSD/i386 1.1 on that.

Are there any issues to look out for, in trying to put NetBSD on a 2nd disk
that is > 2 Gb?  Like DOS geometry remapping problems, or problems trying to
boot directly from it (I'm hoping that I can get OS-BS 2.0beta8 to recognize
this setup;  if I have a DOS label and DOS partition on the first drive, is
this doable?  I really like being able to cold boot directly into NetBSD if
I toggle OS-BS to point that way ... )

Any words of wisdom appreciated.  Please respond to me as I'm not (yet) on
port-i386 (not until I have a working PC setup again  (-: ).  If there's any
interest, I'll summarize.

	- Greg

P.S. I wanted to thank all the people who responded when several months ago
     I asked why I could no longer boot DOS when I tried to temporarily put a
     Adaptec 1542CF into this Pentium system in place of the Adaptec 2940W.
     To be honest, as I'm a SPARC person and not a DOS/PC person, I didn't
     quite grok some of the answers (stuff about the BIOS, et al.).  Since I
     knew that 1.1 was down the road and would have 2940 support, I elected
     to put the 1542CF back into the old 486DX/33 PC and punt on the issue.
     Until now that is  :-)