Subject: Re: XF86 on Diamond Stealth PCI?
To: Chris Jones <chrisj@rh0016.roma.tlsoft.it>
From: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/12/1995 11:07:54
> I would also be interested in this. I'm using a Diamond Stealth video
> 64 VRAM 3200 PCI with FreeBSD. The chipset (on the board) is
> 86C968 - P ( S3 968 )
> TVP3026 - 220 PCE (integrated RamDac and Clock Chip)
> > Now, I have a Diamond Stealth 64 2001 PCI graphics controller, on which I
> > would like to run X windows.  The manual does not, of course, explain what
> > chipset is actually present, and what's worse, SuperProbe cannot find it.

Actually, the manual does tell which chips are present, but only in an
illustration, presumably for ease of abandoning them at the drop of a hat.
ARK2000PV with ICS5342 clock/RamDac.  Both of which are supported by XF86
3.1.2.

But not at the same time, of course.  AAARRRGHGHGHGHH!

The good news is that the 3.1.2A beta distribution *does* support them
together.  The bad news is that it still doesn't work, though this *might*
be because the timing parameters aren't right (the SONY Multisync 17sf claims
to be able to recognize any standard graphics modes and has a wide range of
adaptability, but I have a horrified feeling that it may recognize *only*
its preset modes).  The 3.1.2 SVGA server works in 640x480 mode, but only with
the default specifications; the 3.1.2A server doesn't appear to work at all,
but that might be because it's trying to do the clock generation right and is
thus putting out something the monitor refuses to understand.

However, it does work at all, albeit with a limp, so the "unknown PCI" message
is a red herring, and thus this isn't a port-i386 problem.