Subject: Re: connecting multiple machines to a single SCSI disk ?
From: Head Anarchy Conquest Knight Esquire of the Realm <jgraham@defender.VAS.viewlogic.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/11/1995 11:06:35
#define AUTHOR "curt@portal.ca (Curt Sampson)"

/*
 * This is rather more difficult. You can't have more than one disklabel
 * on a disk, and all of the machines will want to mount root from
 * sd0a and swap from sd0b, unless you modify the kernel. You might
 * be able to do three machines with root/swap on sd0a/sd0b, sd0e/sd0f,
 * and sd0g/sd0h if you compile separate kernels for each. You can't
 * use sd0c/sd0d because these are generally used for the NetBSD
 * portion of the disk and the whole disk respectively (or is it the
 * other way around?)...

...though, if you don't run anything besides NetBSD, you could theoretically
discard sd?d as the whole partition and reference sd?c instead...

Given that we now lose not just one partition but two, what would be the
possibility of rearranging the i386 port to accommodate more than 8 par-
titions per disk?  Especially on larger disks, I find myself wanting to
be able to actually partition it instead of making so much stuff mono-
lithic.

 *
 * cjs
 *
 * Curt Sampson    curt@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
 * Internet Portal Services, Inc.
 * Vancouver, BC   (604) 257-9400		De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.
 *
 *
 *
 */

#undef AUTHOR	/* "curt@portal.ca (Curt Sampson)" */

				--*greywolf;
--
The only thing more traumatic than bootstrapping a compiler is bootstrapping
a debugger.