Subject: Re: two IDE drives
To: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
From: Eric S. Hvozda <hvozda@netcom.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/08/1995 11:54:43
On Fri, 8 Dec 1995 10:44:29 -0500  "John F. Woods" wrote:
> Pardon what is almost certainly a tremendously obvious question, but:
> Can NetBSD be installed on the second of two IDE drives?  How does one then
> boot it?  I have been given a fabulous Pentium system by my employer, who

[...]

There are several ways to do this.

One is to install on the second disk, and use a floppy with modified
boot blocks to default to the 2nd IDE disk.  Slow :-(

Another is to put a small files system with modified boot
blocks on the 1st IDE drive.  Some people put a back up
root file system there as well (excellent aid during crisis
or upgrades).  Requires repartitioing the drive :-(

Last option I know of is a variant of the 2nd: use the unused sectors
between the MBR and DOS as a small fs to hold modified boot
blocks.  Kind of a hack, can be dangerous, no repartitioning

Another feature of the last 2 is that you will be able to mount your DOS drive
since you now have a disk label on the 1st IDE disk :-)

There are other ways too, but I've used each of these in the past...