Subject: Re: ELF and Multiboot questions
To: Erik M. Theisen <etheisen@teclink.net>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/06/1995 22:38:47
On Wed, 06 Dec 1995 19:26:46 -0600
 "Erik M. Theisen" <etheisen@teclink.net> wrote:

 > The tools are the least of the problems.  The system interfaces is were things
 > pick up steam.  The various interfaces are differnt enough to cause problems.

Can you please explain what you mean by "system interfaces"?  If you mean
the hooks to exec, or whatever, we already have a co-existing exec_elf
and exec_aout ...

(Sorry, to me "system" == "kernel")

 > No doubt something will, but, ELF is expandable enough to support new platforms,
 > whereas a.out isn't.

So let ELF support them.  But for those who work fine with a.out, I see
_no_ reason to switch.  I think this is the point everyone else is trying
to make.  If we're striving for stability, then we shouldn't fix
something that isn't broken.