Subject: Re: ELF and Multiboot questions
To: Erik M. Theisen <etheisen@teclink.net>
From: proprietor - Foo Bar And Grill <jgraham@defender.VAS.viewlogic.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/06/1995 10:45:04
WARNING:  This post kind of rambles, please forgive me.

First, before I reply, could someone please point me in the direction
of the instructions for creating the world from scratch (assuming source
and current working binaries)?  I'd like to keep an up-to-date system,
so I'm interested in a how-to document.

Now, then...

#define AUTHOR "etheisen@teclink.net ("Erik M. Theisen")"

/*
 * >If I wanted Linux, I'd be running it.
 *
 * This is absolutly wrong. ELF is not a Linux thing.  It's a UNIX System V Release
 * 4 standard.  I think X/Open is going this way as well.

Of course, if we wanted SVR4, we'd be running that as well.

I'd hate to see NetBSD suddenly turn into SVR4 overnight.  If we can
tweak ELF to work as we need it, great, but we should look at the
ramifications of doing so before we even try.

For example, why don't you go ahead and tweak the entire SPARC or Sun3 port
to use ELF.  Including the boot program.  I don't think you'll be
able to boot your machine after that, since the PROMs depend on an a.out
header.  One could argue that this was not a bright move either, but hey...

 * Our a.out works fine in most cases.  But, it is still a hack.

Funny how an "ancient standard" suddenly gets renamed a "hack". :/

I guess my overall concern is that I'd hate to see NetBSD become a dumping
ground.

On a positive note, I've noticed some substantial performance improvements
in NetBSD/sparc between 1.0 and 1.1.

 *
 * erik
 */

#undef AUTHOR	/* "etheisen@teclink.net ("Erik M. Theisen")" */

				--*greywolf;
--
thought:  I ain't so damb dumn! | Your brand new kernel just dump core on you
war: Invalid argument           | And fsck can't find inode 2