Subject: Re: ELF and Multiboot questions
To: Erik M. Theisen <etheisen@teclink.net>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/05/1995 20:23:32
> Several platforms require ELF, a.out simply will not work.  If we intend to
> support these platforms from a single toolchain, a common format would be the
> easiest.

Being the nominal portmaster for one of the ports that won't work with
a.out, I will admit that I would like it a lot better if NetBSD
standardized on ELF.   However, you're asking for a fairly major
change, and I don't think that it should be considered a necessity.

My biggest wish right now is for the toolchain that is distributed
with NetBSD to support ELF *in addition* to a.out.  If the portmasters
for the a.out ports decide to switch to ELF at some future date,
that's gravy as far as I'm concerned.

			       _MelloN_