Subject: Re: WD8013 died
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@BALVENIE.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/05/1995 18:41:22
> Scott Bartram writes:
> > It may have been a coincidence but my SMC WD8013 network card died
> > during or just after booting the 1.1 kcadp kernel. Even the DOS/SMC
> > diagnostics floppy won't find it now.
>
> You will probably find that power cycling fixes it but that resets do
> not.

If i recall correctly, the problem was that the combination of the
'wt' and 'el' (or something like that) probe routines caused the
on-board nvram to be clobbered.  If this is the same problem as the
old one, power cycling will _not_ fix it.

> > I seem to remember some discussion of many months ago about one of
> > the probe routines screwing up a network card and Charles(?) had some
> > code to fix it. Or am I totally in left field on this one?
>
> Things like this are often fixed by stripping things like the Mitsumi
> CD driver out of the kernel. I suggest that you build a new kernel
> with only exactly what you need, or ask someone else to do it for
> you...

Of course, that likely won't help him until his board gets put back in
an operational state...

chris