Subject: Re: Q: how to backup to a winchester tape drive?
To: Daniel Carosone <dan@anarres.mame.mu.oz.au>
From: Trouble Free RecepPFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF <jgraham@defender.VAS.viewlogic.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/05/1995 12:08:28
#define AUTHOR "dan@anarres.mame.mu.oz.au (Daniel Carosone)"

/*
 *
 * > Typically, tapes are designated as [e][n][r]CtU, where
 * >
 * > 	C	is the controller type; 'w' for an IDE tape; 's' for a
 * > 		SCSI tape; 'x' for a tape on a Xylogics controller
 * > 		(if you happen to be stuck with a SPARCheater or Sun 3).
 * > 		I'm sure others will be dreamed up in the future.
 *
 * wt's are not IDE, they're tapes on a qic-02 or qic-36 interface. The
 * `w' in both cases seems to come from "western digital". I guess with
 * the advent of atapi, we might start seeing IDE tape drives
 * someday. blah.

My misunderstanding.

Since wd disks are IDE, I thought that wt tapes were also IDE.

 *
 */

#undef AUTHOR	/* "dan@anarres.mame.mu.oz.au (Daniel Carosone)" */

				--*greywolf;
--
Sun could have remained quite profitable by staying with BSD-based OSs, and
they wouldn't have pissed off NEARLY as many customers.