Subject: Re: Ethernet Questions
To: None <curt@portal.ca>
From: Paulo Alexandre Pinto Pires <PAPPIRES@novell.coppead.ufrj.br>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/05/1995 15:25:33
Curt Sampson writes:
> I've installed NetBSD 1.1 on it. However, I've noticed that
> my Ethernet card, an SMC Elite-16T Ultra, is recognised when the
> machine first boots, but is not when the machine is rebooted (e.g.,
> with shutdown -r) unless I cycle the power. Any thoughts on this and
> how I can fix it?

I've read once in a 386BSD FAQ that there is a problem in recognizing
interface cards of a given bus size (8 bits or 16 bits) if there is
another card of different size in the same address space (i.e., in
the same 128kb block, as from 0xC0000 to 0xDFFFF -- as this is from
memory, I can't remeber if it's counted based in 0xA0000, 0xC0000
etc. or 0xB0000, 0xD0000).

If it is so, try changing addresses of one or more of your cards and
see if it works without even recompiling the kernel.

Um abraco.
        Pappires

            pappires@zao.leg.ufrj.br
            pappires@magma.leg.ufrj.br