Subject: Re: Q: how to backup to a winchester tape drive?
To: None <n9440963@gonzo.cc.wwu.edu, perry@piermont.com>
From: Max Bell <mbell@europa.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/05/1995 07:37:00
>Subject: Re: Q: how to backup to a winchester tape drive?
>Date: Tue, 05 Dec 1995 01:42:11 -0500
>From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com>

>Grant Miller writes:
>> On Sat, 2 Dec 1995, Max Bell wrote:
>> > Unless NetBSD's tape device is unusual, it needs a letter after
>> > the name -- "wt0a", for example.  The diffent letters have
>> > meanings which are driver dependent.  Usually, "h" is the highest
>> > capacity mode for the device.  YMMV, of course.

>> On my system, there is only one device /dev/wt0.  No wt0a, wt0h.
>> Nothing.  So, it looks like I have to make the device?

>On my unix machines, I've never used a tape device with a letter at
>the end of the name. Its always /dev/rwt0, /dev/nrst0, etc.

>Perry

Sigh.  That was not one of my better posts.  While the systems I use with
tape drives (Ultrix and Digital UNIX) do include a letter at the end of the
device name to specify density (versus the SunOS convention of using the
unit number for this purpose), they also use the "/dev/{n}rmt" prefix, and
not driver specific ones (like "/dev/wt").  Sorry for the braino.

Max