Subject: Re: ELF and Multiboot questions
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Erik M. Theisen <etheisen@teclink.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/05/1995 03:08:37
It would be easier in the long run to migrate every NetBSD platform to ELF as
support for multiple bin formats in our toolchain could be difficult if not
impossible to achieve.  The ancient nature of the a.out format is not compatible
at any level with newer stuff like ELF.  We will have to kludge up the
toolchain with hackery if multiple formats need support.

It should be noted that a.out is currently needed on several platforms for boot
purposes.  This should be remedied as soon as possible.

Also, ELF would help our GPL'd stuff stay current.  We currently are so far
behind in this area.

Yes, pk did a wonderfull job on the a.out stuff, but maybe it's time to move
forward.

P.S. I'm working on some of the above mentioned hackery to allow multiple bin
format support :)

erik