Subject: Re: Ethernet Questions
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Curt Sampson <curt@portal.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/04/1995 13:39:38
On Mon, 4 Dec 1995, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> Curt Sampson writes:
> > I've installed NetBSD 1.1 on it. However, I've noticed that
> > my Ethernet card, an SMC Elite-16T Ultra, is recognised when the
> > machine first boots, but is not when the machine is rebooted (e.g.,
> > with shutdown -r) unless I cycle the power. Any thoughts on this and
> > how I can fix it?
>
> You probably are having something probe the card which nukes it  --
> remove everything from your kernel config that you don't use and see
> if that changes anything.

Actually, it turned out to be the differing shared RAM address that
I'd mentioned at the end of my note. The card was set up for cc000
and the kernel was set for d8000. Everything worked fine from a
cold boot, but after a warm boot the kernel would not detect the
card again.

I'll have to look through the source for those drivers one day and
see what's up.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

cjs

Curt Sampson    curt@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/