Subject: ELF and Multiboot questions
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Travis Hassloch <travis@evtech.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/04/1995 14:21:59
Relevant file:
ftp://flux.cs.utah.edu/flux/boot-proposal-0.3

Wondering (1) if the existing boot loader is multiboot-compliant, and (2) if
NetBSD plans to support ELF binaries.

In parallel, I'm wondering if ELF binaries give any added functionality
over existing NetBSD shared libs/a.out format.

For those who don't know, ELF is apparently some kind of pseudo-standard
(Solaris & Linux & ?) that basically allows run-time location independence
by doing looking up offsets in a table, as I understand it.
I'm not sure if it's dynamic run-time location independence (e.g. it can
move around in your proc's virtual address space, which seems silly), or
just static independence (i.e. when the shared lib is referenced).
--
travis@evtech.com | Klaatu Barada Necto | Obey the computer. Obey. Obey.
``My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of