Subject: Re: ASUS P55TP4 motherboard experiences?
To: John Nemeth <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca>
From: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/02/1995 20:17:36
> The upper markets, workstation, mainframe,
> supercomputer, etc. would never stand for this kind of nonsense.

"Parity is for farmers."
	- Seymour Cray, on why the Cray 1 supercomputer did *not* have parity.

With memory reliability as good as it is, parity is probably of dubious
utility; it is no longer to be *expected* that memory will fail during the
life of a computer.  Any application with data valuable enough to need
parity protection probably really needs ECC, which enables the system
to continue running with *correct* data and logs errors for proactive
replacement.  "We're sorry, but a parity error swallowed the deposit of
your paycheck.  At least we didn't do something really STUPID like turn
it into a million dollars or something."