Subject: Re: ASUS P55TP4 motherboard experiences?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ernst J. du Toit <ernstjdt@maxwell.ctech.ac.za>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/02/1995 18:35:28
Ted Lemon wrote:

> Ouch.   So can anybody recommend a different PCI motherboard that
> *has* parity?   After looking over the ASUS page and the Intel page,
> it looks like anything that supports EDO memory doesn't support
> parity.   Sigh.   The really depressing thing is that after reading
> over the ASUS archives, it looks like most people who ask about parity
> actually want to know if they *have* to buy parity memory, or if
> non-parity memory will do.   Duh.   :'(

Well, so much for Intel's consumerism... seems like the comsumers out
there do not want reliable memory subsystems.

While on the subject, I've been thinking about these IBM ECC SIMMS that
our AST box has - it looks like a parity SIMM to the system, but has ECC
functions on the SIMM. Take these ECC SIMMs and wire the parity error
output to the NMI line of the m/b, one 'could' have reliable PC hardware.

... just my 0.02 ...

et
--
Ernst J. du Toit (TED5)           Internet: ernstjdt@maxwell.ctech.ac.za
School of Electrical Engineering  BELTEL  : 175250 / Amateur Radio: ZR1ABB