Subject: Re: IDE woes...
To: Chris Jones <cjones@rupert.oscs.montana.edu>
From: Curt Sampson <curt@portal.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/30/1995 17:14:51
On Thu, 30 Nov 1995, Chris Jones wrote:

> So, what can I do?  I'm considering just throwing away the IDE drives
> and getting a SCSI controller, but that's not as cost-effective as
> getting this drive to work.

It may well be more cost effective if you count the price of the hair
restoration lotion that's inevitably needed after trying to get IDE
setups to work. :-)

I find the Buslogic controllers fast and reliable. You definitely want
a VLB or PCI controller, lest you find yourself wanting more than 16MB
of memory one day.

Another, much cheaper, option would be an NCR PCI SCSI controller,
if you've got a PCI bus machine with an appropriate BIOS. These
are dirt cheap, but the driver is currently a bit flakey (though
it's improved enormously over the last year). I use one on my
personal workstation.  I wouldn't use one on a machine that I'd
have to come in to reboot if it failed at 1 a.m.

cjs

Curt Sampson    curt@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.